Copy this blog links to a recent Mainichi article that is a fine addition to my previous entry: “YouTube” Web site has Japan’s broadcasters in a tizzy.
According to the article, “the number of Japanese Netizens visiting the ‘YouTube’ site has gone through the roof” in recent months. This seems plausible, given the high number of YouTube vids with titles and descriptions in Japanese — Google Trends also nicely illustrates the upward tendency.
The Japanese media, sensing its proprietary material is being illegally reproduced, appears to be swiftly abandoning its heretofore hands-off position toward YouTube. NHK recently contacted the site’s operators to demand that a video clip of the children’s song “Supu no Ekaki Uta” that had been broadcast on May 30 installment of the “Okasan to Issho” TV show, be removed.
And it seems that NHK is not alone: JASRAC, Avex Entertainment, Yomiuri Telecasting Corp., Tokyo Broadcasting, Fuji Television Network, Sony Japan, Yahoo Japan Corporation, and other Japanese companies have also sent C&D requests to YouTube resulting in content being taken offline.
Back to the Mainichi article:
One of Japan’s top promoters of showbiz talent, Johnny’s Jimusho, the office of Johnny Kitagawa, said it is mulling legal action to make sure its performer’s rights are not infringed upon. A spokesman for the agency said it was determined to “root out” YouTube and similarly predatory web sites.
Towards the end, the author of the article (which is a WaiWai publication, and therefor does not necessarily represent Mainichi’s views) makes a bold statement against the recent YouTube crackdown—a stance that is rather rare for Japanese news publications:
If networks find it so annoying to see their lowbrow contents being recycled on the Web, perhaps the only solution will be for them to cease broadcasting it.